Website Haida Gwaii Society for Community Peace
|Job Title:||Book Keeper/Financial Coordinator||Reports To:||Executive Director|
|Location||Masset, BC||Position Type:||Permanent full-time|
|Classification:||Integrated Program Coordinator 2 and Bookkeeper||Position Hours:||Full-time 35 hours/week, Mon – Friday|
|Level/Salary Range:||$28.39 – $33.06/hr
JJEP Wage Grid Level 14
|Date Posted:||Feb 12, 2021||Posting Expires:||Until Filled|
|Applications Accepted By:|
|Fax or E-mail:
(250) 626-4662 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject Line: Book Keeper position
Attention: Executive Director
2132 Collison Avenue
Plans, develops, and implements and oversees the HGSCP Finance Department activities in consultation with the Executive Director and external auditor. Provides managerial accounting support and information to senior management and the Executive Director. Produces financial reports and summaries, and assists with preparing program budgets for various HGSCP programs and departments. Recommends improvements to internal financial controls, processes, and procedures. Supervises clerical accounting staff.
Performs related bookkeeping duties such as coding, recording, posting and processing day-to-day transactions. Processes accounts receivable, accounts payable and payroll. Maintains and updates various accounting and payroll records as required.
This position is not required to use their vehicle in the course of their duties.
Key Duties and Responsibilities –
- Maintains and updates accurate accounting records in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles by performing duties such as posting transactions on Sage 50 (Simply Accounting), and keeping updated accounting and budget summaries in Sage 50 and various Excel spreadsheets as required.
- Codes source documents such as timesheets, invoices and receipts to the appropriate general ledger accounts and departments within Sage 50 accounting software. Checks source documents for accuracy and completeness by reviewing them in consultation with the Executive Director. Ensures appropriate authorization is received prior to processing.
- Verifies, posts and reconciles accounts payable and accounts receivable transactions into a computerized accounting system based upon relevant approved source documents.
- Maintains accurate historical financial records by keeping an orderly accounting filing system for source and reference documents.
- Maintains and updates the chart of accounts and list of internal financial departments based on direction from the Executive Director.
- Prepares and issues invoices and follows up on late accounts. Pays approved supplier invoices in a timely fashion and issues accounts receivable invoices to customers/vendors. May collect rent payments and prepare/distribute receipts to tenants. Follows up to resolve discrepancies and outstanding invoices with suppliers and vendors.
- Reconciles bank accounts and maintains related bank account reconciliation records.
- Reconciles other accounts in Sage 50 as required by the Executive Director.
- Prepares, processes, and completes employee payroll and related records to generate pay deposits and cheques by using Sage 50 and ADP software programs.
- Compiles, maintains and produces payroll statistics and reports of related payroll records such as seniority lists, vacation entitlement, statutory holiday bank, sick leave and overtime banks by using ADP or Sage 50 and Excel software. Maintains records of employee attendance, leave, and overtime to calculate pay and benefit entitlements using Excel spreadsheets and computerized systems.
- Prepares and verifies statements of earnings for employees, including gross and net salaries/wages and all appropriate deductions (such as taxes, union dues, and group insurance and pension plan premium contributions).
- Is aware of and complies with statutory and agency requirements as well as Collective Agreement provisions as they apply to payroll, leave and benefits entitlements for employees.
- Prepares cheques and electronic transfers for various payments and coordinates signing authorization by the appropriate signatories.
- Submits forms to health and welfare benefit carriers to arrange for, change and terminate coverage for employees by using digital benefits management portals. Maintains records of benefit enrolment in a manual filing system as well as various spreadsheets.
- Responds to inquiries and requests from staff regarding payroll, benefits and other bookkeeping matters. Follows up to resolve errors and discrepancies in the accounting transactions, and payroll and benefits upon discussion with the Executive Director.
- Prepares for the annual financial audit and the production of financial statements, budgets and other financial reports by performing such duties as providing related financial documentation, preparing various accounting summaries and reports, organizing source documents, and compiling statistics.
- Maintains petty cash accounts for multiple programs by recording petty cash expenses and payments, and by creating and processing cheques for petty cash account refills.
- Secures critical financial information by completing regular database backups on appropriate backup computer hardware and maintaining a spreadsheet log of completed backups.
- Prepares various other accounting summaries and reports as required.
Finance Program Coordination
- Plans, develops, and implements and oversees the HGSCP Finance Department activities in consultation with the Executive Director and external auditor.
- Documents relevant accounting processes and procedures to maintain and strengthen internal controls, by maintaining a record of step-by-step procedures for the required bookkeeping duties as listed, as the commencement and ongoing upkeep of a Financial Procedures Manual.
- Supervises finance department clerical staff by assigning work, coordinating accounting activities, supervising payroll activities, accounts payable and accounts receivable postings, providing relevant orientation and training, providing feedback on performance, and conducting performance evaluations.
- Participates in the recruitment and selection of clerical accounting staff by performing duties such as screening applicants, participating on interview panels, and making hiring recommendations.
- Orients, determines the need for and provides training to accounting clerical staff and practicum students.
- Schedules finance department clerical staff according to department staffing requirements.
- Participates in program budget preparation and development with senior management and assists with budget submissions and financial reporting to government and other funders.
- Oversees the day-to day operation of the Finance Department by ensuring that necessary facilities and equipment are in place, and that agency finance guidelines, procedures, and policies as well as appropriate generally accepted accounting principles are adhered to.
- Formulates and reviews Finance Department policies and procedures. Evaluates internal accounting systems and financial procedures in consultation with the Executive Director, other senior financial staff and the external auditor by conducting regular reviews of internal accounting procedures against generally accepted accounting principles.
- Monitors and authorizes Finance Department expenditures in consultation with the Executive Director.
- Produces various error-free accounting reports and summaries and presents their results as requested by the Executive Director or other senior management staff, by creating and printing departmental reports with both Sage 50 accounting software and Excel spreadsheets, and monitoring for variances from established budget parameters.
- Ensures monthly analysis of accounts and budget variances are prepared. Provides detailed financial data analysis by using budget and departmental tracking features in Sage 50 and Excel to track budget and spending trends and variances, in order to provide the Executive Director and senior management staff with relevant financial information to reduce financial risk and increase effective decision-making capacity.
- Operates office equipment such as computers, photocopiers, printers, and multi-line telephone system.
- Maintains related records and statistics and performs other related duties as required.
Qualifications and Education Requirements –
- Certificate or diploma up to two (2) years in a related field such as accounting principles and procedures, bookkeeping, payroll, accounting software, or office administration, OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Three (3) years recent related experience, including 1 year of supervisory or administrative experience.
- The successful applicant will be required to join the BCGEU General Services union membership.
- This position is dependent upon a clear Criminal Record Check.
Required Skills & Knowledge –
- Knowledge of accounting principles and best practices
- Good to excellent working knowledge of Sage 50 (Simply Accounting) software
- Good to excellent working knowledge of Office software suite (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Attention to detail with the ability to produce work with a high level of accuracy
- Demonstrated financial report preparation and analysis skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated teamwork and supervisory skills.
- Ability to handle sensitive information with tact and confidentiality.
The ability to function independently and prioritize workload while managing concurrent tasks and deadlines is an ongoing expectation of this position.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com