Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Evaluates client needs and develops short term plans (weekly and monthly) to meet such needs with the active participation of clients, their families and social networks. Reviews and evaluates the individual’s progress and makes adjustments to programs as required.
- Identifies social, economic, recreational, educational activities in the community that will meet the adult’s needs. Maintains liaison with and makes referrals to other agencies, professionals, government officials and the community. Provides feedback and support to clients and/or their families.
- Where appropriate and when client requests and shows suitability, initiates and pursues employment opportunities, including resume writing, approaching sympathetic employers, applying for jobs, offering to employers shadowing and training (based on employers job description and your hours of availability).
- Assists clients with appropriate daily life skills to maintain their home (i.e. meal times, bed times), social skills. Teaches and assists clients with activities such as grooming, hygiene, reminders re: medication, basic cooking, money management, shopping, household safety and pet care.
- Assist clients in attending appointments when necessary and may provide transportation to leisure activities and employment opportunities.
- Assists with behavior management training so as to function appropriately in the programs and community gatherings they attend; to participate safely and independently.
- Provides clients with a positive role model.
- Attends client related community meetings, content of community meetings are reported to your supervisor.
- Recognizes, analyzes and deals with potential crisis situations ie clients’ aggressive behavior to ensure no harm comes to the client, staff and/or the public. Develop strategies to deal with such situations and inform your supervisor when incidents arise.
- Provides emotional support and feedback to clients and their family and friends when concerned.
- Provides written as well as verbal reports regarding clients’ daily activities and progress (goals and accomplishments).
- Ensures health and safety standards are maintained. Recommended courses are attended or completed. CLBC website information is reviewed and new materials are studied.
- It is the responsibility of the worker to ensure that all requirements are met to provide safe transportation, including car maintenance and snow tires. Also that all current certificates and related documents are updated and on file.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Diploma in a related human/social service field is required for the position
- Emergency First Aid and CPR Certifications
- Reliable vehicle and satisfactory driver’s abstract
- Clear Criminal Records Check
- One (1) year of training and experience or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- This position requires Union Membership with BCGEU General Services
- This position requires the successful applicant to use their own vehicle in the course of their duties
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good organizational, time and general management skills
- Knowledge of group process and facilitation techniques
- Knowledge of disabilities essential
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality