Council of the Haida Nation
Reports To: Chief of Staff
Type: Permanent & Full-Time
Location: Massett & Skidegate, Haida Gwaii
Reporting to the Chief of Staff or their designate, the Director, Communications and Culture is a senior management position accountable and responsible for planning, organizing, implementing, maintaining and evaluating strategy and delivery of comprehensive programs and services in relationship to CHN Communications both internally and externally. In addition, the Director fulfills a similar role in relation to Culture – inclusive of Language.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The following constitute some of the key duties of the position and are indicators of its scope:
- Direct and oversee all staff and resources within departments, services and programs assigned, ensuring that strategic direction is operationalized. Provide and support leadership and mentorship to maintain a collaborative and healthy work environment. Ensure effective management and supervision structures are present and supported.
- Work collaboratively with Senior Staff, and provide information, support and strategic advice to the Chief of Staff to support the strategic goals of the SHN, in the areas in their purview.
- Ensure effective interaction of Communications and Culture related staff to conduct their work both in relation to citizens and outside governments, nations and agencies to advance and implement strategic goals and objectives;
- Provide advice and input to the Chief of Staff on existing, developing and emerging issues. Contribute to budgeting and planning processes, ensuring accurate and effective reporting of information and experience to inform the decision making process.
- Ensure that assigned SHN/CHN Committees are provided sufficient support and information to fulfill their roles effectively;
- Ensure administrative functions required to implement and maintain programs and services are operational, demonstrate effective management of human, financial and information resources;
- Develop, implement and monitor effective policies and procedures;
- Demonstrate effective leadership skills, exercising sound judgement and respectful interaction in day to day decision making;
- Perform other related duties as directed
Skills, Abilities and Experience
- Knowledge and understanding of Haida Governance, laws and cultural values;
- Excellent and proven communication skills, with at least five years’ experience in a Communications and related field;
- Significant experience in project and financial management, with a proven track record of meeting deadlines and budgets and reporting compliance;
- Significant experience in effective management of personnel, including mentorship, leadership, hiring, firing and establishing and maintaining a respectful workplace;
- Knowledge of Haida values and issues, including issues, challenges and opportunities;
- Excellent computer skills, including graphics programs and Microsoft Office;
- Strong written and verbal communications skills;
- Demonstrated strategic capacity adaptability, creativity, innovation and team building;
- At least 5 years experience managing in Communications/Culture or Haida language with demonstrated success in developing and implementing strategic direction and project management;
- Must have a valid B.C. driver’s license.
Must possess a post-secondary or graduate degree in a related field, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit your cover letter and resume to:
Name: Karen Dean – Human Resources Manager
Submit your cover letter and resume to the contact above by August 19, 2021 at 4:00pm. However, this posting may remain active until the position is filled.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org