Council of the Haida Nation
The Haida Gwaii Marine Plan (the “Plan”) focuses on several key areas of marine economic development including marine tourism, shellfish aquaculture, a community-based fisheries economy, marine research and monitoring and marine renewable energy. The Plan is the result of a cooperative planning process led by the Council of the Haida Nation (CHN) and the Province of British Columbia as part of the broader First Nations-BC Marine Planning Partnership for the North Pacific Coast (MaPP) initiative. One of the key purposes of the Plan is to support marine economic development and provide direction for encouraging and managing future growth.
The Haida Nation and Province of BC have identified key outcomes and priority actions to implement the Plan, including priority actions related to marine economic development. The Marine Economic Development Coordinator will take a lead role in implementation of these priority actions.
The Marine Economic Development Coordinator will report to the CHN Marine Planning Manager and be a member of the CHN Marine Planning Program. Since the Economic Development Coordinator works as a joint resource, the Coordinator will also provide support for a Provincial team, work at times from the provincial offices and take direction from a Provincial counterpart (approximately 50% of the time). This is a full-time salaried position (35 hours per week) with a six month probationary period. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Requirements include the following:
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in business, community planning, economic development or a related discipline with a minimum of four years related experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills including experience working with individuals and groups in a multidisciplinary setting
- Proficient with computers and data analysis and management
- Experience working with First Nations and knowledge of First Nations communities and culture will be an asset
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Marine Economic Development Coordinator is responsible for the following duties:
- Lead, coordinate, and/or facilitate marine economic development projects or initiatives that are being implemented through the Haida Gwaii Marine Plan
- Work collaboratively with the Marine Planning Team and BC technical staff to implement marine economic development objectives and strategies outlined in the Plan
- Coordinate and assist with management of marine economic development contracts related to implementation of the Plan
- Engage effectively with the general public, other organizations, community members, agency staff, contractors and others to further objectives of the Plan and build positive and productive relationships
- Engage effectively with the CHN on existing fisheries initiatives that are currently being administered by the Secretariat of the Haida Nation and provide clear recommendations for potential future activities
- Identify needs and resources for effective Plan implementation and develop effective strategies and workplans
- Develop and/or facilitate strategic partnerships to support marine economic development
- Develop and prepare materials, reports, presentations and other materials related to marine economic development for a range of audiences
- Develop and support and promote local training and business programs related to Plan priorities
- Assist with overall implementation of the Plan as required
- Assist with preparation and review of general marine planning reports and other materials
- Provide written and verbal reports to the Program Manager on a weekly basis at minimum, and
- Other duties as necessary
HOW TO APPLY
If this sounds like you, please send your resume with references and cover letter to:
Denise Olsson – Marine Planning Program Executive Assistant
m. PO Box 98, Skidegate, Haida Gwaii, V0T 1S1
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Submit your cover letter and resume to the contact above by June 16 at 4:00pm. However, this posting may remain active until the position is filled.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com