Website Council of the Haida Nation
The Haida Nation is involved in several marine planning initiatives around Haida Gwaii: Marine Planning Partnership, SGaan Kinghlas-Bowie Seamount MPA, Pacific North Coast Integrated Management Area Initiative, Marine Protected Area Network Planning for the Northern Shelf Bioregion, Gwaii Haanas, proposed Offshore Pacific Marine Protected Area, and several regional marine shipping and safety initiatives. The CHN Marine Planning Program provides technical support to each of these processes as required. The development and implementation of marine spatial planning products, including management plans, is a priority outcome for the Haida Nation.
Under the supervision of the Program Manager, the Marine Planner will be responsible for overseeing technical support for CHN engagement in marine protected area planning and plan implementation. The Marine Planner will also provide support for other CHN Marine Planning Program initiatives as appropriate. This is a full-time position (35 hours per week). Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Providing technical support to CHN representatives on various marine-related management committees;
- Representing CHN interests and priorities at a technical level as they relate to marine protected area planning and plan implementation;
- Actively participating on a multidisciplinary team and working with cooperative partners, including FLNR, MoE, MAg, ECCC, Parks Canada Agency, and DFO;
- Supporting and participating in other pertinent planning, research and decision-making processes and initiatives as necessary;
- Liaising and coordinating with CHN Marine Planning Program staff and providing support to the Haida Gwaii Oceans Management Committee and the Haida Marine Working Group as required;
- Coordinating with other CHN staff and programs and building CHN capacity for engaging in marine protected area planning and plan implementation;
- Engaging with stakeholder advisory bodies as necessary; and
- Assisting in the development and delivery of communication and outreach materials/events to build awareness, understanding and support for marine protected area planning and plan implementation among Haida citizens.
- Knowledge of CHN marine planning and plan implementation processes (see “background” section for specific processes);
- Knowledge of the CHN, its mandate, vision, goals, objectives and programs including policy and procedures, Haida language and culture;
- A minimum of five years’ relevant work experience and/or relevant diploma/degree in marine or environmental planning, natural resource management, or a related discipline;
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team;
- Experience working with First Nations, stakeholders and in multi-disciplinary and/or cooperative management technical groups; and
- Effective oral and written communications skills.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your cover letter and resumé with references to:
Denise Olsson – Marine Planning Program Executive Assistant
m. PO. Box 98, Queen Charlotte, Haida Gwaii V0T 1S0
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Submit your cover letter and resume to the contact above by May 14 at 4:00pm. However, this posting may remain active until the position is filled.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com