Council of the Haida Nation
The CHN Policy Department is looking for a Policy and Governance Specialist to join our team. We’re a small team taking on big challenges. We draft laws and policies, conduct research, provide strategic advice, and contribute significantly to the governance functions of the CHN. We take direction from citizens and the elected council, working closely with other SHN departments and Haida governance bodies and organizations. We also work directly with citizens to ensure that our work reflects the nation’s goals.
We’re looking for someone who has a unique mix of skills:
- You’re intimately connected to Haida culture;
- You are actively engaged in Haida governance;
- You lead teams with a collaborative approach;
- You’ve got strong project management skills;
- You’re a big picture thinker with an eye for detail;
- You have smart ideas about how to create positive change;
- You enjoy research and can write clearly;
- You understand the values behind good governance;
- You enjoy finding creative solutions;
- You’re approachable with strong connections to the community and can find your inner charm;
- You are knowledgeable about the issues faced by Indigenous peoples;
- You have superb writing and copy-editing skills;
- You are skilled with computers and online meeting tools.
You may review this list of responsibilities and feel you don’t currently have the skills to do all of them. We encourage you to apply if you can show you have the potential to grow into all of them with some mentoring and training.
- Co-develop, implement and evaluate the effectiveness of the Policy Directorate’s strategic plan;
- Build project teams with staff from across the organization as needed to carry out work;
- Develop and maintain a project management system with program staff;
- Foster an environment of open communication with the Director of Policy and program staff, scheduling briefings or team meetings as needed to ensure everyone shares the same vision and to collectively address challenges in a timely manner;
- Seek regular guidance from knowledge holders and ensure that all work is grounded in Haida cultural values and knowledge;
- Review project plans and work to ensure they are strategic, effective and of high quality;
- Work collaboratively in a team environment to carry out policy research, analysis, development and implementation;
- Support decision-making processes by developing presentations and support materials; and advising on engagement processes and solutions;
- Communicate with Haida citizens, respond to requests and develop appropriate reports to the House of Assembly and seasonal sessions;
- Oversee the department’s budget, spending, and assist with financial reporting;
- Identify and coordinate training opportunities for the department;
- Oversee the department’s calendar and guide time management;
- Directly supervise administrative support staff, interns and summer students as necessary.
- Ensure that all operations are carried out in compliance with Occupational Health and Safety laws and SHN policies regarding employment and safety.
- Carry out other related duties and activities as required to ensure the smooth operation of the Policy Department.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit your cover letter, resume and three references to:
Denise Thiessen – SHN Executive Assistant
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
APPLY BY MAY 12 at 4:00pm. This posting may remain active until filled.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com