Website Council of the Haida Nation
The Haida Nation is involved in several marine planning initiatives around Haida Gwaii: Marine Planning Partnership, SGaan Kinghlas-Bowie Seamount MPA, Pacific North Coast Integrated Management Area Initiative, Marine Protected Area Network Planning for the Northern Shelf Bioregion, Gwaii Haanas, proposed Offshore Pacific Marine Protected Area, and several regional marine shipping and safety initiatives. The CHN Marine Planning Program provides technical support to each of these processes as required. The development and implementation of marine spatial planning products, including management plans, is a priority outcome for the Haida Nation.
Under the direct supervision of the Marine Planning Program Manager, the Project Manager/Marine Planner will be responsible for overseeing technical support for the CHN’s marine spatial planning files. This is a full-time position (35 hours per week). Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Project Manager/Marine Planner will be responsible for the following duties:
Organizational and coordination responsibilities
- Technical and organizational support for the CHN’s marine spatial planning files, including: SGaan Kinghlas-Bowie Seamount MPA, Marine Protected Area Network Planning for the Northern Shelf Bioregion, Gwaii Haanas, proposed Offshore Pacific Marine Protected Area, and spatial elements of the Haida Gwaii Marine Plan.
- Coordination and engagement with technical staff supporting Northern Vancouver Island, Central Coast and North Coast First Nations, including work on policy development and strategic engagement in regional marine spatial planning initiatives.
- Coordination and integration with technical staff representing other government agencies (e.g., Parks Canada, DFO, and BC Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations).
Writing, Reporting and Product Development
- Preparation of reports, briefs, correspondence and other materials to support CHN’s marine spatial planning files.
- Preparation of reports, briefs, correspondence and other materials to support CHN Solutions Table members and decision-makers.
- Support for implementation of the SGaan Kinghlas-Bowie Seamount MPA Management Plan.
- Support for CHN engagement in the MPA Network Planning Process for the Northern Shelf Bioregion, including supporting the development of a multi-lateral agreement with DFO, BC and other First Nations to establish a co-governance process for MPA Network implementation.
- Support for CHN engagement in the Offshore Pacific MPA planning process, including the establishment of a multi-lateral agreement with DFO and other First Nations to establish a co-governance process for the Offshore Pacific MPA.
- Support for ongoing communications and public outreach initiatives on Haida Gwaii related to marine spatial planning (e.g., a special marine/fisheries issue of the Haida Laas journal).
- Editing and reviewing documents produced on behalf of the CHN Marine Planning Program.
- Providing regular updates to the CHN Marine Planning Program Manager regarding planning progress.
- Experience in successfully supervising technical teams and third-party contractors;
- A Bachelor’s degree in environmental planning or natural resource management or a related discipline with a minimum of five years of related experience or an equivalent amount of post-secondary education and experience;
- Strong technical research skills, including design and implementation of applied research projects to inform management and decision making;
- Superior technical writing, editing, and verbal communication skills;
- Proven ability to work collaboratively as part of a team and provide situational leadership;
- Ability to take direction and to complete tasks in a timely manner;
- Previous experience working with First Nations and stakeholders or in multidisciplinary groups;
- Demonstrated experience working with, and understanding of, resource management related issues from a BC First Nations’ perspective;
- Project and contract management experience; and,
- Knowledge of Haida Gwaii, marine management and governance, especially as it relates to marine resources.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your cover letter and resumé with references to:
Denise Olsson – Marine Planning Program Executive Assistant
m. PO. Box 98, Skidegate, Haida Gwaii V0T 1S0
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Submit your cover letter and resume to the contact above by May 14 at 4:00pm. However, this posting may remain active until the position is filled.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com