Request for Proposal – Community Energy Plan for Haida Gwaii
The Council of the Haida Nation (CHN) is issuing this Request for Proposal (RFP) for professional services to develop a Community Energy Plan for Haida Gwaii.
The selected firm will work with the CHN as well as additional Haida Nation members and staff to lead a Community Energy Planning process resulting in a written Plan. As part of the Plan, the firm will facilitate community engagement and provide a prioritization guide that weighs potential to advance Haida Gwaii’s objective to transition the Islands’ electrical systems to clean and renewable energy, and reduce overall electrical consumption.
While numerous studies have already been completed on supply side resource options to reduce diesel generated electricity on Haida Gwaii, the primary goal of this plan is to deliver effective community engagement on the results on those studies that will lend toward a community informed strategy. Subsequent to that goal, this plan aims to increase community dialogue on demand side management, food sovereignty, transportation and waste reduction options and prioritize strategies for implementation of initiatives.
The CHN wishes to review and update its current greenhouse gas emission reduction goals and establish a pathway of actions to achieve these goals. The Plan will expand these emission-reduction goals to include community resilience and adaptation to climate change actions.
Consultant will engage community stakeholders and governments to complete this effort. Consultant may present to these groups as well as Council of the Haida Nation while drafting the plan, and once it is final. Work will be completed within 9 months of accepting this proposal, with anticipated final plan approval by Council by October 1 2024.
Proposals should embed existing policies on sustainability, equity, and community engagement in proposal content, and will be considered based on scope, schedule and cost.
Project Deliverables – the final Community Energy Plan should include:
- Results of community engagement that lend toward the prioritization of existing community electricity plan resources options (i.e. supply-side management projects identified as feasible and economically viable) to reduce greenhouse gases (GHGs).
- Results of community engagement that lend toward the prioritization of demand-side management options to reduce GHGs.
- Community engagement that will lend toward the prioritization of transportation options to reduce GHGs.
- Community engagement that will lend toward the prioritization of food sovereignty options to reduce GHGs.
- Community engagement that will lend toward the prioritization of waste reduction projects to reduce GHGs.
- Suggested tools to track progress for CHN operations and community-wide emissions reductions by timeframe, emission source, and mitigation or adaptation-related action;
- Comprehensive menu of strategies and tactics to achieve goals. These could include, Policy – changes to existing or inclusion of new policies, structural – creating new departments, or other methods as identified by the consultant.
- Reflect on past and ongoing planning initiatives for Haida Gwaii’s communities and resources; including and not limited to Comprehensive Community Plans, municipal and regional strategic plans, and plans related to land and marine use.
Interim Project Schedule
The following schedule demonstrates key milestones in the project process.
- Advertise Request for Proposals — Jan 17, 2024
- Request for Proposal Due — Jan 24, 2024
- Award Contract to Consultant — Jan 25, 2024
- Consultant to work with local partners on high-level engagement for initial “launch” of planning process — Jan 2024
- Initial community engagement/Listening Tour — Jan 31st/Feb 1st at two open houses hosted by Swiilawiid Sustainability Society and Tll Yahda Energy
- Progress Report #1 — May 2024
- Report to Council— June 2024
- Progress Report #2 — Aug 2024
- Present Draft Plan for submission— Sep/Oct 2024
The following will be considered minimum contents of the proposal:
- A statement of objectives and goals and a description of the consultant’s proposed approach to Plan development, including engagement strategy on how to meaningfully engage with all communities of Haida Gwaii.
- A description of the scope of service, and a list of specific deliverables to be provided by the firm.
- A work plan that identifies major tasks to be completed and a timeline for those tasks. Please identify any optional work tasks in this area and any work sub-consulted in the detailed cost breakdown.
- A cost breakdown of the tasks to be performed with a breakout of the hours per work task identified. The consultant will indicate any assumptions made (e.g., number of meetings, number of drafts, etc.) and include this information with the cost proposal. Total hours and dollars for each deliverable and the final project shall be shown.
- A statement of qualifications, list of recent similar projects, references for recent projects, and the proposed project manager and team.
Any optional work tasks suggested by the consultant shall be indicated as such and should be included in task information identified above.
Prior Studies and Planning Document Review
Several previous studies and planning efforts have focused on decarbonizing the electricity grid on Haida Gwaii. The Consultant may review available documents and relevant elements of other citywide plans to inform their proposal. These documents will be provided by CHN and can be found here or at http://bit.ly/HGEnergyResources
- Haida Gwaii 100% diesel reduction plan-application to Natural Resources Canada (2018)
- Haida Community Electricity Plan commissioned by BC Hydro (2020)
- Draft BCH Load Forecast document (2021)
- BC Hydro Draft PPT for Haida Gwaii Long-Term Resource Planning(Feb 2023)
- Tll Yahda Energy (TYE)/BCH draft MOU submitted for discussion (July 2023)
- List of additional planning documents compiled between TYE/BC Hydro (2022)
- BCUC resource planning guidelines (2003)
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for questions and proposal submission.