August 28, 2020
COMMUNITY BULLETIN: COVID-19 OUTBREAK OVER ON HAIDA GWAII; STATE OF EMERGENCY REMAINS IN PLACE
Elected leaders and Haida health leads are grateful to announce that Haida Gwaii’s COVID-19 outbreak is now declared over. Of 26 total cases, all have recovered fully and everyone who might have been exposed is now out of self-isolation.
Haawa | haw’aa | thank you to all Island people and professionals who worked so hard to protect our families and community. You have all exercised great diligence that helped us to achieve this Island-wide success. We appreciate everyone’s efforts and the community care you all have shown.
Haida Gwaii will continue to look to the Provincial Health Officer and BC’s COVID-19 response to guide our local response. We will maintain a unique approach that works for our communities and remote location.
COVID-19 is here until we have developed an immunity or vaccine. Until then, respect physical distancing, wash your hands often and well, and if you can, wear a mask when in public. Under Haida authority, the Haida Gwaii State of Emergency (SOE) remains in place and non-resident travel is still restricted. The updated SOE is available at haidnation.ca > COVID-19 > Haida Gwaii State of Emergency
- Kim Goetzinger, Incident Commander, Council of the Haida Nation
- Teri Kish, Old Massett Emergency Operations Center Director
- Kyle Marshall, Skidegate Emergency Operations Center Director
- Trevor Jarvis, Masset Emergency Operations Center Director
- Zena Thierstein, Port Clements Emergency Operations Center Director
- Mary Kellie, Queen Charlotte Emergency Operations Center Director
- Jessica Bagnall (Daniel Fish), North Coast Regional District Emergency Operations Center Director
Further updates will be posted through your local EOC and CHN at <haidanation.ca>
If you have any sign of illness, however mild, self-isolate and seek testing right away. Phone the Northern Health Online Clinic: 1.844.645.7811. If you test positive, you are encouraged to self-report to one of the Health Center Emergency Operations Centers.