Haida Gwaii has taken a unique approach to the COVID-19 response and recovery plan for our isolated Islands’ communities. On July 30, 2020 BC issued an order to restrict non-essential travel to Haida Gwaii, which supports the Haida Nation State of Emergency.
Residents should not travel off-Island unless essential. For example, “essential” includes medical travel, which is important and encouraged. It also includes urgent family matters and essential work off-Island.
Returning Residents and Haida Citizens
- Present proof of residency or Haida citizenship to the checkpoint staff at the Prince Rupert terminal.
- Checkpoint staff will issue a dated Returning Resident dash card to be placed on the dashboard during disembarking.
Acceptable Proof of Residency or Haida Citizenship
- Government issued identification with a Haida Gwaii address;
- Status card indicating membership with Old Massett or Skidegate; or
- A signed Declaration of Haida Gwaii Residency/Citizenship