July 22, 2020
Good people of Haida Gwaii,
Limiting the spread of COVID-19 on Haida Gwaii is our highest concern. The CHN, Skidegate and Old Massett Band Councils, and Health Centers continue to work together to reduce the impact of COVID-19. We have confirmation of suspected cases in the North and in Skidegate.
This notice concerns your health, the health of your family and the health of your community. We are respectfully requesting everyone to abide by the following until further notice:
- Elders and vulnerable people must stay home. Limit your contact to include your household only.
- Stay at home and leave your home only for medical or other essential needs.
- Wash your hands for 30 seconds and wash often.
- Keep surfaces in your home clean.
- Use hand sanitizer if soap and water is not available.
- Do not touch your face, especially your eyes, nose and mouth.
- If you must meet outside your circle – social distance and wear a mask if you are able.
We will not know who has tested positive unless they self-report. There are two reasons for this:
- Nurses are not permitted to discuss the health information of a person with people who are not directly involved in providing medical care
- Knowing the name of the person who is sick will not help you prevent illness in the community.
If you suspect you have been in close contact with a positive case:
- Immediately self-isolate
- Watch for symptoms (fever, chills, cough, achy, nausea, loss of smell and taste, diarrhea, sore throat, fatigue, running nose, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing and lack of appetite)
- If you have even mild symptoms please call the Northern COVID online clinic at 1-844-645-7811, they will determine your next steps.
If you absolutely need to leave your home: social distance, meet outside, and wear a mask if you are able.
If you are self-isolating each community has supports available to buy your groceries, pick up prescriptions and run your errands.
OMVC EOC Skidegate EOC
250-626-7293 250-559-4610 (leave a message)
Limiting the spread of COVID-19 on Haida Gwaii is everyone’s responsibility. We all have to do our part to keep ourselves, our loved ones and Haida Gwaii Safe. Kil ‘láa kind words.